Friday 5 August 2016

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party."

Presumably every (good) student of informatics has learned to know the above phrase as filler text or as exercise on handling multiple editors, fonts etc. just like Cicero's famous Lorem ipsum - nothing more than a typing drill described by Wikipedia.org here -> Filler Text.The real meaning goes back to the American Revolutionary Period, when Patrick Henry stirred the seeds of discord with his famous Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death speech to the Virginia Assembly in 1775. It is quoted her to explain my long break in writing about databases and programming. Far from Henry's fervent ...


attitude, I felt it impossible to ignore certain events which have occurred in my country and in parts of Europe. Some posts on this blog reflect my humanitarian and political position and thus I have come to the aid of my party - investigating, writing essays in German though, which are probably suitable to be compiled in a book.

One interesting aspect of these investigations consisted of using graph databases to store, analyse and display relationships in social media. This has brought me - after 8 years of working with Informix and 20 years with Oracle - to leave the area of relational databases and turn over to graph databases. I am convinced, that graph databases represent more or less the next generation of relational databases.

Hopefully the demanding time  - i.e. come to the aid of my party - will pass soon, so that I may continue my favourite occupations.

So long.

No comments: